ACT Offers a Variety of Pumped Two Phase Cooling Options
ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Cooling technology expertise is accumulated through many years of research, development, design and manufacture for diverse applications including defense electronics cooling, industrial laser cooling, commercial LED cooling and HVAC heat recovery. In 2018, ACT acquired Parker Hannifin Corporation’s Precision Cooling Business that designs and manufactures Pumped Two-Phase Cooling products for industrial and defense power electronics applications. This acquisition also enhanced ACT’s experiences in pump reliability and field installation and service for this technology.
ACT’s Pumped Two Phase (P2P) Cooling Products and Solutions are based on patented technologies, and use a noncorrosive and non-electrically-conductive fluid which vaporizes and cools hot surfaces on contact. These products are ideal for cooling of high-power electronics where heat loads have increased to a level beyond what traditional air and water cooling systems can effectively manage.
By combining a non-conductive dielectric refrigerant with the science of heat dissipation through vaporization, our Pumped Two Phase Cooling Products can increase power densities for high-power electronics by more than 2x over traditional water / glycol systems, while eliminating the dangerous consequences of a fluid leak. Although the systems are leak tight, should an accidental leak occur, the non-conductive fluid is inherently safe even when in direct contact with sensitive electronics.
Combining the high heat removal of the two-phase heat transfer technology with the high reliability of low-flow liquid pumping, ACT’s P2P system is highly modular (hot swappable) and scalable. With such high-efficiency, it simplifies the plumbing and reduces the overall size and weight, providing an excellent thermal performance/cost ratio. And, due to the inherent non-corrosive properties of the fluid, no regular end user maintenance is required.
Still have questions on how it works? Check out our Pumped Two Phase Resource Page for FAQs.
Examples of Fielded Systems for Power Electronics
Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems can enable higher density electronics in your current or new rack systems. A 2-3X greater density benefit is realized simply by integrating ACT’s unique two phase evaporative cooling system. Alternatively, where rack redesign is not practical, P2P solutions are also available in a stand-alone drop-in replacement for legacy air- or water-cooling systems. This consists of a stand-alone cooling unit, complemented by cold plate kits added at the sub-system level.
ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems leverage common components and have been designed for 8kW, 30kW and 50kW capacities. To meet specific customer performance needs, some level of customization is required.
Using non-corrosive, non-conductive fluid to vaporize and cool hot surfaces on contact, ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems is ideal for high power electronics systems with heat loads above those which traditional air- and water-cooling systems cannot support.
Fully Customized Pumped Two Phase Systems
The Thermal Experts at ACT have been providing custom solutions since 2003. Anywhere from design and analysis, prototyping, to full-scale manufacturing, ACT is an industry leader in custom thermal solutions for the most challenging applications. Outside of our standard products shown above, full-scale custom P2P systems can be designed to meet the unique specifications of each customer’s application. Read our case study that details our work with Intel, Pumped Two Phase Cooling for High Performance Computing Applications. Figure 2 shows a custom system designed and manufactured by ACT for a challenging theater lighting application. No matter where you are in your project, ACT is your trusted thermal partner.
How Pumped Two Phase Cooling Works
A basic Pumped Two Phase cooling system, as shown in Figure 3, has a pump, one or more cold plates to remove heat, a condenser to condense the two phase mixtures, and an accumulator.
- The liquid flows through hard tubing or hose to a low-flow pump
- Pump moves saturated liquid across a cold plate directly attached to a heat source. With the latent heat transfer, the liquid immediately starts to vaporize
- Heat is carried away by the vapor
- Vapor moves to an air- or water-cooled condenser where it re-condenses into liquid and the heat is dissipated
- Excess liquid is stored in the accumulator ready to be pumped back into the system
How Pumped Two Phase Cooling Compares
The test results shown in the graphic below clearly demonstrate the benefits of ACT’s P2P products. The data compares the maximum power and thermal resistances of various cooling solutions. The maximum power dissipation was determined through testing by increasing the module power until the junction temperature reached a common limit of 120°C.
ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Products benefit a broad spectrum of industries including:
- Hybrid and Industrial Vehicles
- Industrial Power Electronics
- Power Transmission and Distribution
- Alternative Power Generation
- Marine and Rail Propulsion
- Medical Equipment
Consider Pumped Two Phase Cooling for applications that:
- Have critical packaging constraints
- Have a propensity for high cyclical loads
- Call for more power output from a given device package (e.g., increased switching frequency or difficulty in paralleling devices)
- Need modular and easy field service (quick dry break connectors)
- Involve high-voltage and use de-ionized water
- Require elimination of the chiller
Renewable Energy Solutions
The less weight in the nacelle or power conversion container, the better. ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems have been designed in a rack-ready design, or can be configured as a drop-in replacement solution to easily retrofit legacy water- or air-cooling systems. ACT can cool the full range of wind turbine/power generation systems, including the converter/inverter, reactor, transformer and generator with compelling benefits, including:
- Scalability: 20 – 300 Kw of cooling
- Improved system efficiency due to low parasitic pumping power requirements
- Cost: up to 20% system level cost savings
- Power Density: 2x or more increase in power density
- Size and Weight: up to 50% smaller/lighter
- Safety: The fluid used is non-corrosive, does not conduct electricity and needs no freeze protection
- Service: Hermetically sealed system with 50,000 hr L10 life. No regular service required.
- Extended Temperature Rating: No de-rating in hot climates
Grid Scale Energy Storage & Power Conversion – Container Solutions (Wind and Solar)
ACT delivers thermal systems for grid energy storage for wind and solar farms, configured to customer requirements for battery and power conversion:
- 20’ and 40’ ISO container configurations
- Adaptive thermal management, to meet individual configuration demands:
- Air cooling (HVAC)
- Pumped Two Phase Cooling
- Hybrid mix of both
Hybrid/Electric Industrial Vehicles
Agricultural and construction equipment continues to strive for more ways to increase power and fuel economy through electrification and energy storage of key motor functions. These HE motor drives require aggressive thermal management solutions, and ACT is pleased to deliver these benefits:
- Smaller, more robust cooling systems
- Up to 40% power higher throughput
- Safety: Nonconductive fluid is inherently safer for:
- Ultra capacitors
- Battery modules
- IGBT modules
- Greater IGBT reliability and overload protection
- Fluid requires no freeze protection
- Ability to cool all electronics on one loop
Industrial Power Solutions – Medium Voltage Motor Drives and Electronic Stability Programs
The high dielectric strength properties of our coolant make ACT’s Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems ideally suited for medium voltage motor drive applications, especially considering the reluctance to using water around high voltage electronics. In addition, our electrically isolated fluid interconnect system allows for modular cold plate designs that more easily isolate high voltage circuits.
- Supports motor drives 1 MW to 4 MW
- Increased power throughput of 40% or more
- Higher reliability
- Field Serviceable – Highly modular IGBT cold plate design
Data Center Solutions
ACT’s P2P Cooling Systems provide today’s stationary and portable data centers with increased processing performance density while reducing overall life cycle costs. Both are achieved through much greater cooling efficiency that air or water cooling.
- Enabling over 2x rack performance density
- Higher reliability
- Reduced energy consumption – no chiller or dedicated HVAC required
- Space savings – up to 50% smaller cooling system footprint
- 20’ and 40’ container options (up to 350KW per container)
GET YOUR QUOTE TODAY
Now that you understand Pumped Two Phase Cooling, contact ACT for a system evaluation and recommendation. We will help you decide how best to meet your needs with equipment including:
- Two Phase Pumped Cooling
- Single Phase Pumped Cooling
- Cold Plates
- PCM Heat Sinks
- Heat pipe assemblies
- HiK™ plates
- And much, much more
We’ll provide you with everything you need to understand cost and installation of Pumped Two Phase Cooling Systems.
Reduce your costs and improve the life of your equipment with a simple conversation designed to make your operations easier and more affordable. Contact ACT today to learn about all of your thermal management needs.