Advanced Cooling Technologies, Inc. (ACT) conducts Research and Development for both the U.S. government and a diverse list of commercial companies. Our Research and Development areas include:
- High Heat Flux Heat Transfer: ACT has solved a number of high heat flux cooling problems with different methods, including pumped two phase cooling, pumped single phase micro-channel cooling, loop thermosyphons, spray cooling, and vapor chambers.
- Advanced Modeling: ACT has rich history of modeling materials phenomenon from the nanoscale (several atoms) all the way up to micron level and macroscale (engineering length scale). Modeling programs include atomic level modeling of ablation materials, Boltzmann transport based modeling of semiconductor devices (GaN, SiC), and Peridynamics modeling of damage and corrosion fatigue.
- Advanced Coatings: ACT’s advanced coating work includes corrosion/erosion resistant coatings for copper micro-channel coldplates, boiling enhancement coatings, wettability coatings for condensation enhancement, and Plasma-Enhanced Chemical Vapor Deposition (PE-CVD) coatings for nanoparticle/fluid mixtures.
- Combustion and Synfuels: ACT’s combustion and synfuels work includes fuel reforming for fuel cells, nano-catalyst work enabling methanol combustion at very low temperatures, solar powered generation of synfuels, and solar coal gasification reactors.
- Advanced Heat Pipes: In addition to standard heat pipes, ACT has produced Variable Conductance Heat Pipes (VCHPs) that passively maintain the evaporator temperature as power and/or heat sink conditions change, Pressure Controlled Heat Pipes (PCHPs) for extremely precise temperature calibration (+/-5mK over a 2 hour period), as well as switching heat between two high temperature reactors, rotating heat pipes for cooling shafts and motors, and very high heat flux vapor chambers.
In addition to Research and Development, ACT also offers Technical and Design Services and manufactures and sells products, so we can take your idea from the initial concept to the final Product. One product that ACT has successfully commercialized from an R&D program is Constant Conductance Heat Pipes (CCHPs) for Spacecraft Thermal Control. Starting with a NASA Phase II program, ACT developed the procedures and facilities necessary to manufacture CCHPs, which are now used in multiple satellites on orbit. A second product based on a DOE SBIR Phase II is LED Thermal Management.
If you are interested in learning more, please contact ACT today.