At ACT we do more than just engineer innovative solutions. We manufacture them too! We can take your design all the way to full production right here, in central Pennsylvania. We have seen thousands of engineering projects from concept through multi-year production.
ACT’s technician and production staff have been, and continue to be, a critical factor in ACT’s success. They are skilled in a wide range of technical tasks, from building one-of-a-kind prototypes to manufacturing products of high volumes and specialty certifications advancing ACT’s abilities. Their work has resulted in the incorporation of ACT’s products and technologies in many mission-critical systems including telecommunications satellites, defense electronics equipment, military shelters, primary temperature calibration systems, among many other industries.
ACT manufactures some solutions which are subject to U.S. Department of State and U.S. Department of Commerce export regulations and follows export controls laws as contained in the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR), among other U.S. Government export control laws and requirements.
ACT’s facility in Lancaster, Pennsylvania has gone through 7 expansions since the company’s inception in 2003. It currently occupies more than 140,000 square feet within Burle Corporate Park, consisting of manufacturing, laboratory, and office spaces, with options for further expansion to accommodate growth in our various business areas.
ACT’s York, PA Location, occupying more than 60,000 square feet dedicated to engineering, manufacturing, and testing ruggedized environmental control systems for military, government, and industrial applications under ACT’s Tekgard® brand.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania Facility
ACT’s manufacturing operation is configured for both quick prototyping and full production of diverse, custom-designed thermal products, such as Heat Pipe Assemblies, Phase Change Heat Sinks, HVAC Heat Exchangers, Sealed Enclosure Coolers and Pumped Two-Phase cooling systems. ACT routinely provides complex turn-key thermal systems, which often include large Bill of Materials (BOMs) requirements.
- Over 70 engineers performing consulting, design, testing & manufacturing
- In-house volume manufacturing operations certified under ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100D quality standards.
- Heat pipe manufacturing line that produces >250,000 heat pipes annually which are then integrated into a variety of thermal management devices for military, aerospace, and commercial applications.
- Vacuum Brazing
- Dedicated facility with a capacity for 20,000 space heat pipes or Constant Conductance Heat Pipes (CCHPs) for integration into Satellites, radiator panels, landers and other space systems.
- Thermo-vacuum chambers: spacecraft product testing
- Radiography facility per ASTM-E-1742 and personnel qualification per NAS-410
- Established processes to qualify welders per AWS D17.1, “Specification for Fusion Welding for Aerospace Applications”.
- Pumped Two-Phase test facility
- Custom thermal test equipment, including Data Acquisition
- Dedicated machining center
- Optical Comparator
- Heat treat ovens, calibrated per AMS 2770
- Multiple Helium Mass Spectrometer Leak Detectors
- Extensive dimensional inspection equipment
- Four (4) FARO arms; 4’ to 8’
- Coordinate Measuring Machine (700mm x 1000mm x 700mm) including PC-DMIS software
- 4’ x 8’ x 4’ granite surface table
- Hand inspection tools, including calipers, micrometers, pin gauges, height gauges
ACT’s heat pipe production facility is the most versatile in the industry, currently having the capacity to simultaneously produce and test the following thermal products of various custom designs, at the specified annual quantities:
- Assemblies (copper/water heat pipe, PCM): 10,000’s/year
- Constant Conductance Heat Pipes, tested for space: 20,000+/year
- Sealed Enclosure Coolers: 1,000’s/year
These quantities can be readily scaled up to meet customer demand, by adding additional personnel and/or equipment, with the option of occupying additional manufacturing space within the Burle complex.
York, Pennsylvania Facility
ACT’s York location is a state-of-the-art facility with over 63,000 square feet dedicated to designing, manufacturing, and testing environmental control units (ECUs) and HVAC Energy recovery solutions. With 10k+ ECUs deployed worldwide, we take pride in providing a quality product that is reliable and capable of performing in any environmental condition. Standing ready to be your trusted partner and provide innovative solutions to your requirements!
- 10+ experienced engineers performing consulting, design, testing & manufacturing.
- Team of field service and support for ACT’s Tekgard® products
- Inventoried Spare Parts & Accessories
- Maintenance and training programs
- Lifecycle management on Tekgard® products
- ISO9001 certified
- Tescor Test Labs, testing capabilities from 0-20 Ton ECU, up to 16 KW chiller, -20F to 150F
- Production test lab, 2-12 Ton ECU, ambient to 140F
ACT’s overarching goal is to provide a superior standard of service to our customers through responsiveness, competitive pricing, and most importantly, the quality of our products and services. This is why Quality and continuous improvement are core ACT operating principles.
QUALITY CERTIFICATES: ISO 9001:2015 AND AS9100:2016
ACT was first certified in accordance with ISO9001 in December 2005 and expanded to AS9100 one year later to better service the aerospace market. The ISO 9001 and AS9100 certificate demonstrates ACT’s commitment to achieving the highest quality standards in the industry, and to providing our customers with superior products and solutions. A digital copy of our current certificate is made available to our customers.
Lancaster Location: ISO 9001:2015 and AS9100:2016: and in accordance with the requirements of AS9104/1:2012 for the design and manufacture of cooling systems for aerospace and terrestrial-related industries.
York Location: ISO 9001:2015 applicable to Manufacturing and Design of Thermal Management Systems, Government Contracting, Supply Chain Management and Related Engineering and Logistics Services.
Here are a few facts about ACT’s quality team and the standards ACT’s staff apply in a variety of projects:
- Our Quality Assurance Manager is an ASQ-certified Six Sigma Black Belt who provides extensive training in quality tools and methodology to the ACT staff.
- Welders are qualified in accordance with AWS D17.1 standards and have also been certified to perform visual examinations of welds according to MIL-STD-2219A, AWS D17.1, and AWS B2.1 standards.
- Members of ACT’s staff are certified to perform radiography per NAS410 Level II.
Examples of additional regulatory support systems:
- IATA, CFR and IMDG-certified personnel and procedures for shipping products containing hazmat materials
- S. DOS registered procedures and trained staff for controlling Export Controlled and ITAR-related manufacturing articles
- S. DCAA audited accounting system for recording and controlling manufacturing costs
- Basic NIST 800-171 compliance achieved
We can design to any standards, below is a list of common Mil-STD we routinely design to
- MIL-STD-810 Environmental Conditions Testing – rain, blowing sand, blowing dust, salt fog, humidity, shock, and vibration.
- MIL-STD-461 Electromagnetic Interference & Compatibility Testing – conducted and radiated susceptibility and emissivity
- MIL-STD-188-125 High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse Testing
- MIL-STD-2169 High-Altitude Electromagnetic Pulse Testing